Home decorating is something that a lot of people are starting to do on their own. Do it yourself is
economical and generally fairly easy to do. Watch out for decorating faux pas that can scupper your efforts. Many experts consider things like
many pillows, long curtains and too much wood as big problems. However when you take on the task of decorating your home whether it be for
yourself or to sell it, there are 7 things you will need to avoid doing that you might not know about.
1. Avoid putting everything that you love in the main room: It can be so tempting to put all of your favourite pieces and items into the main sitting room or living area. However doing this will more often than not lead to a clutter problem. Spread things out and let them be shared. Group similar items and collections together in different rooms so you can share the love.
2. Choosing furniture that is the wrong
size: When you fall in love with that perfect piece of furniture it can be hard to remember that you need to keep sizes in mind when looking. We don't just mean the dimensions but the proportions of how it will go with other items in the room are important. It can be so easy to think that every item will just
here and go along with what you have, but it won't always. An example would be if you paired a delicate antique coffee table with large overstuffed chairs, the pairs wouldn't go together.
3. Spending too much on wallpaper: There are so many wallpapers out there and it can be a task to find the one that is perfect for you. Many also make the mistake of thinking that they have to paper an entire room, you don't have too. By choosing to make a focal wall where you only put paper on one wall you can save your bank book and get a better paper, while also making the room feel less busy.
4. Forgetting the outside: If you live in an area that is warm all the time you probably wouldn't want to decorate in Eskimo chic and vice versa. It is always important to keep in mind the climate and general area around you when you decorate. This is especially important if you are decorating to put your house on the market, you want to make the home feel like it is unique and yet that it belongs.
5. Making it all match: While you want pieces that complement each other it can be a mistake to make everything match exactly. Most know that the idea of putting together an outfit in all the same
colour and textile is gone in modern fashion, the same goes for decorating. Think of item that complement each other but don't match exact. Doing this will give you a richer feeling of depth to the decoration and make the room more interesting.
6. The one stop shop: Oh it can seem too easy just to go to one shop or online outlet and get everything you think you need. While it may be more convenient that way your rooms can end up feeling impersonal and cold. When you invite people into your home you want it to feel warm and welcome and not like a furniture warehouse room. Try mixing and matching some of your older pieces with the new ones to get a more lived in feeling to the area. Or try shopping around at several different shops. This method will give you more of a chance to find different pieces that compliment but feel different. It may also save you money in the end if you find the right sales at the right time.
7. Rushing: In today's world everyone is always on the go, we don't take the time we used to enjoy a project or the process of it. Much like the one stop shopping pitfall not taking time to sit back and enjoy your project can cost you money in the long run. By taking the time to plan and shop around you can find the best pieces for the best prices. Not only that but you may end up finding things you wouldn't have thought of before that you will like better. Take your time and enjoy the process of making your home fresh and new again with decorating.
In closing the main idea when you decorate is to do something that you enjoy but make sure you avoid some pitfalls. It can save you money in the end to avoid bad mistakes and if you decide to sell you won't have to redo everything.
It is important to enjoy your new
decor but also keep some rules in mind so that you don't regret what you have done at a later date. Most of all have fun with it, make it your own and don't be afraid to try something new.
If you are looking for a real boost in home value then, according to the
Loft conversions are the biggest positive thing that you can do. Whenever you are making value-based decisions ensure you are realistic though. Will a new carpet really make a difference to what people are willing to pay. If you are getting your home perfect for the future then just enjoy the process, and make your dream a reality.